The Right Prescription
A few weeks ago I was discussing salvation with a friend of mine that is a member of the Baptist church. He said that he believed that as different doctors prescribe different medicine for the same illnesses, so this was also possible in the salvation of one's soul. One preacher might prescribe faith only, another repentance, another confession, and still another baptism. It does not make any difference, it just depends on who you are talking to, or where you go to church.
An important fact my friend evidently does not recognize is that in religion-the religion of true Christianity-Jesus is the Physician (Matthew 9:12; Mk. 2:17) and in order to be healed of our spiritual ailments we must obey the Great Physician's orders (Heb. 5:8, 9). What has the Doctor prescribed for eternal salvation?
1. Jesus said to hear (John 10:3; 6:45);
2. Jesus said to believe (John 8:24; 6:47);
3. Jesus said to repent (Luke 13:3);
4. Jesus said to confess him (Matthew 10:32 Lk. 12:8);
5. Jesus said to be baptized in water (John 3:5; Mt. 28:19; Mark 16:16);
6. Jesus said to be faithful unto death (Revelation 2:10).
This is the prescription that the Great Physician has given that will lead unto life eternal. What will you do with it? Will you obey all of the Doctor's orders and be eternally saved, or will you reject it by believing in some kind of spiritual Aquack"? It does make a difference!
Truth Magazine, XVIII:28, p. 14