These Do Not Change
In the midst of a changing world, there is a need for us to hold on to some things which do not change.
1. God has not changed for he is eternal: It is declared that our God is eternal. "The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms . . . ... (Deut. 33:27) God has always been. He was in the beginning. (Gen. 1:1) God's nature remains the same. (Jas. 1: 17)
2. Jesus Christ does not change: The apostle said of Christ, "the same yesterday, and today and forever." (Heb. 13:8) Christ is also eternal as God is. Christ was in the beginning with God. (Jn. 1: 1) Christ said, "I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty" (Rev. 1: 8).
3. The word of God does not change: Jesus said, "Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away" (Matt. 24: 35). As Peter said, "the word of God liveth and abideth forever . . ." (I Pet. 1:25). Even there would be those who seek to change the word of God, as those in Galatians 1: 8, the word of God remains the same and will in the day of judgment (Jn. 12:48).
4. The New Testament Church must not change: We live in an age when men try to modernize the church for a modern century. Since we have just learned that the Bible does not change and the only thing we know about the church comes from the Bible, the church must remain the same as it was in the days of the apostles. The church as a body has the same head - Christ (Col. 1: 18), the same organization - the local congregation with its elders, deacons and members (Phil. 1:1). The church still has the same work - preaching the gospel (I Tim. 3:15; Eph. 4:16) and taking care of her needy saints (I Tim. 5:16). The work of the church has not changed. I could go on and on showing that the worship has not changed. In fact, nothing about the church has changed in the Bible.
5) The standard of right and wrong has not changed: It is still right to do right and never right to do wrong. The standard of living "soberly, righteously and godly" (Tit. 2:11-12) has not changed.
TRUTH MAGAZINE, XII: 9, p. 7