What the Bible Teaches About the Judgment
Men will give account for their deeds. Just because God does not punish men for their sins on the spot does not mean that we will escape giving account. In order that you might have a good understanding of what the Bible teaches about the judgment, take a look at these points:
1) THE JUDGMENT DAY IS CERTAIN. The apostle Paul said, "For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body) according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad" (2 Cor. 5: 10). Just as surely as you live, there will be a judgment day. Are you ready for it?
2) THE JUDGMENT DAY IS AN APPOINTED DAY. As Paul preached to the Athenians he said, "And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men everywhere to repent: Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; where of he hath given assurance unto all men in that he hath raised him from the dead" (Acts 17:30-31).
3) THE JUDGMENT WILL BE UNIVERSAL. Everyone will be in the judgment. As Jesus pictured the judgment scene he said, "When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory: And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats" (Matt. 25:31-32).
4) THE JUDGMENT WILL BE INDIVIDUAL IN NATURE. The judgment will not be a group judgment but each will be judged individually. "So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God" (Rom. 14:12). Each one is responsible for his own actions while he lives and in judgment each will be held responsible. So are you pleased with your actions? Are they in harmony with the Word of God?
5) WE WILL BE JUDGED ACCORDING TO OUR DEEDS. John said, "And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works" (Rev. 20:12). All things will be laid open at the judgment (Eccl. 12:13-14). We will give account for every idle word (Mt. 12).
6) CHRIST WILL BE THE JUDGE. "For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son" (John 5:22). Since we will stand before Christ to be judged we had better listen to him while we live.
7) THE WORD OF GOD WILL BE THE STANDARD IN JUDGMENT. Jesus said, "He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day" (John 12:48). Since the word of God will be the standard by which we will be judged, we must obey the teachings of the word.
8) THE REWARD WILL BE HANDED OUT IN JUDGMENT. "For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works" (Matt. 16:27). The reward will either be eternal death or eternal life (Matt. 25:46). Which will it be for you?
TRUTH MAGAZINE XIII: 6, p. 1