God tells us that we are to obey His every command. Jesus said, "Not everyone that saith unto me Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven." (Mt. 7:21). So with this statement of Jesus, man can learn that obedience to the will of God is a necessity to be saved! Not one scripture or connected series of scriptures gives the entire plan of salvation. With a diligent study however, man can learn that obedience is necessary to be saved. Let's look at some examples in the book of Acts to find what those people did to be saved:
1) In Acts 2:14-41 the preaching by Peter on the day of Pentecost persuaded those people to, "...repent and be baptized.., for the remission of sins...to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." (Acts 2:38)
2) The people of Samaria in Acts 8:5-13, "...Believed...and were baptized..."
3). A treasurer of the land (the eunuch) in Acts 8:35-39 was taught by the preacher Philip to, "believe...Confess Christ... and to be baptized..." He did so and, " went on his way rejoicing."
4). Saul was taught to "...arise and be baptized and wash away his sins." (Acts 10:34-48).
5) Cornelius " believed and was baptized for remission of sins." (Acts 10:34-
6) The jailer mentioned in Acts 16:32 was commanded to, "...believe and be baptized..." (Acts 16:31-33).
7) Lydia "...attended (believed)...and was baptized..." (Acts 16:13)
One will notice that in all seven examples given here of conversion, baptism was required in each case. If one studies and puts everything together as it is meant to be studied and examined, he finds the solution to salvation:
1) HEAR THE WORD OF GOD. "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God" (Rom 10:17)
2) BELIEVE IN GOD'S MESSAGE. ".. for without faith it is impossible to please Him." (Heb. 11:6).
3) REPENT OF ONE'S SINS. "I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish." (Lk. 13:3).
4) CONFESS THE CHRIST. "Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven." (Mt. 10:32).
5) BE BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST. "Therefore we are buried with Him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life." (Rom. 6:4).
6) LIVE A FAITHFUL CHRISTIAN LIFE. "...Remain thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life." (Rev. 2:10).
WHY NOT OBEY THE LORD -- TODAY!!
TRUTH MAGAZINE XIV; 27, p. 2
May 14, 1970