C. D. Plum
Parkersburg, W. Va.
People practice "safety first" in about everything else except religion. But when it comes to "making our calling and election sure" in religion, they are careless and negligent. Yet the Lord wants them to give "diligence" to the religious part (2 Pet. 1:10). If we make our calling and election sure we must:
1. BUILD ON THE ROCK.
2. KEEP OUR SOUL INSURANCE PAID UP.
3. HAVE JESUS' NAME SIGNED TO EVERYTHING WE DO IN RELIGION.
Now let us give some attention to the three things mentioned above, taking them in order.
Build On the Rock
"Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and DOETH them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the wind blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not, for it was founded UPON A ROCK" (Matt. 7:24-25).
Indeed so, when alien sinners BELIEVE the truth, REPENT of their sins, make the GOOD CONFESSION that Jesus is the Son of God, and obey the command to "Arise, and be BAPTIZED (buried with Jesus in baptism), and wash away their sins" (Col. 2:12; Acts 22:'16), they are THEN BUILDING ON THE ROCK. And when these same people continue to obey the Lord in true worship and work, and in living the life of a genuine Christian, they have the following promise: "Blessed are they that do his commandments that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city" (Rev. 22:14).
Keep Our Soul Insurance Paid Up
Life insurance is good, but we cannot let it lapse if it is to be good for us when we need it. Soul insurance is better, but we have to keep it paid up too if we are to receive help from it. THE CHURCH OF OUR LORD IS INSURED AGAINST THE FIRES OF HELL, BUT THE MEMBERS MUST KEEP THE INSURANCE PAID UP.
This church of the Lord (this divine insurance company that insures against the fires of hell) is a very important divine institution. Do you want to know more about it? Note the following:
1. Jesus was to build this church (Ps. 127:1).
2. Jesus said he would build his church (Matt. 16:18).
3. Jesus DID build his church (Heb. 8:2).
4. This church which Jesus built belonged to him, not to his cousin. (Matt. 16:18; "MY CHURCH.")
5. Jesus (not Peter) is the head of his church (Eph. 1:21-23).
6. Jesus (not Peter) is the foundation of his church (1 Cor. 3: 11).
7. This church was started in JERUSALEM (not Rome) (Isa. 2:1-3; Lu. 24:47, 49).
8. The worship of this church consists in 7 SINGING (Heb. 2:12; Col. 3:16); PRAYING (Acts 2:42); GIVING (1 Cor. 16:1-2); and EATING THE LORD'S SUPPER (Acts 20:7; I Cor. 10:16).
9. The work of this church consists in PREACHING THE GOSPEL (Phil. 4:15-17) without the aid of any human institution like the U.C.M.S. or HERALD OF TRUTH, and establishing NEW CONGREGATIONS without such human aids also. This church also supports the needy who scripturally qualify, without the help of any human institutions whatsoever (Acts 11:29-30).
Jesus' Name Must Be Signed To Every Religious Act
"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, DO ALL IN THE NAME OF THE LORD
JESUS" (Col. 3:17), if you would make your calling and election sure. Where in holy
writ do we find the Lord's signature attached to "sprinkling for baptism;" suppers, sales
and shows to raise money for the church; a human organization like the Herald of Truth doing the work of the church, and bleeding the church treasury to help them do it;" "instrumental music in church worship;" and purgatory?
TRUTH MAGAZINE XIV; 28, pp. 10-11
May 28, 1970