Not Found in the True Church of Christ
C. D. Plum
Parkersburg, West Virginia
There are, indeed, a number of things found in denominations that are not found in the true Church of Christ. Naturally, you may wonder what these things are. We shall mention some of these things in this lesson.
Humanly Organized Societies
God's word is to be preached to the world "by or through the church;" not through some society organized by man. The church at Philippi sent "once and again" directly to Paul, the preacher on the field at Thessalonica (Phil. 4:15-17). Denominations have their unscriptural societies, with un8criptural officers, and unscriptural salaries. Modern Churches of Christ have the same missionary society called the "Herald of Truth." Much of the money intended for missionaries, when sent through these societies, never gets to the preachers. The upkeep of these unscriptural, human organizations is first deducted. There were no such human organizations doing the work of the church in New Testament times, and the true church does not have them now.
The "Herald of Truth" and benevolent societies have divided churches of Christ everywhere. They have divided husbands and wives. They have divided parents and children. They have divided brothers and sisters, grandchildren, nephews, nieces, and what have you. Isn't it about time to come back to the New Testament and just be the true church of Christ?
Mechanical Instrumental Music In The Worship Of God
1. Christ and the apostles did not use mechanical music when they worshipped (Matt. 26:30). Paul and Silas did not use such music in their worship. They "sang" (Acts 16:25).
2. Singing, and not mechanical instrumental music, is authorized in the New Testament for church worship (Rom. 15:9; I Cor. 14:15; Eph. 5:19; Col. 3:16; Heb. 2:12; Jas. 5:13).
Suppers, Sales, Shows To Raise Money For The Church
1. Jesus stopped the buying and selling in the temple (Matt. 21:13-14).
2. Christians are to give on the first day of the week "as they have been prospered" Q Cor. 16:1-2). They are to "purpose" to give, and to give "cheerfully" (2 Cor. 9:7). Their purpose should equal their prosperity, and their prosperity should equal their purpose.
1. Jesus forbids calling preachers "Father" in a religious sense in Matthew 23:9.
2. Jesus forbids calling preachers "Rabbi" in Matthew 23:8.
3. The title "Reverend" belongs to God only (Ps. I 11: 9).
The True Church Of Christ Honors Jesus In This Way:
1. He is the governor (Matt. 2:6).
2. He is the husband (2 Cor. 11:2).
3. He is the bead (Col. 1: 18).
4. He is the King (Rev. 17:14).
5. He is the Captain (Heb. 2: 10).
6. He is the Teacher (Jno. 8:31-32; Jno. 3:1-2).
7. He is the Shepherd (Jno. 10: 11, 14).
8. He is the High-priest (Heb. 3:1).
And Don't Forget:
"The church is COMPLETE in him" (Col. 2:10). Brethren, if you want to be eternally saved, you better drop all those things which you have added to the "worship" and "work" of the church.
TRUTH MAGAZINE, XV: 23, pp. 12-13